Feb 1, 2011

The Moon-Spinners (1964): an entertaining teen mystery film

After watching The Parent Trap, I really wanted to see more Hayley Mills movies, so I chose this one. It was fun, even when it's not the usual film from her: Tuco Eli Wallach and his follower shoot and hurt a good-looking English young man, Hayley is tied up inside of a mill, then she talks with a drunk arriviste woman, etc.


Based on a novel by Mary Stewart, Walt Disney's The Moon-Spinners (1964; James Neilson) founds Hayley and her aunt (Joan Greenwood) in a musical research in Greece (for the BBC). Our heroine meets a nice guy (Peter McEnery), whom for some reason doesn't get along with Eli Wallach, the owner of the inn where they all are staying. Then the mysterious adventure starts and Hayley will have to trust her new friend and face different dangerous situations, all filmed in magic Agios Nicholaos, Crete.
Even when the settings and atmosphere are darkish, Hayley manages to display her usual charm. I love her scene with Pola Negri, especially when she gets drunk (watch on Youtube). Elli Wallach and Peter McEnery are fine in their roles and they punch each other convincingly on a fast moving motorboat. 


The film was Pola Negri's swan song, which means I started watching her filmography backwards (yeah, I haven't seen any other movie from her, recommendations are welcomed). She plays an eccentric millionaire with a yacht, tons of jewels and a super cool cheetah I wish I had. 
So, if you're interested in watching an unusual Hayley Mills film, I recommend The Moon-Spinners to you. Here's the opening, which features the nice main song of the film: 




 Read a fun interview with Hayley on the set of this film : Click here. Thanks Java!

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Java, thanks for dropping by! I had read that fun interview before I wrote the post, I remember the interviewer was mostly interested in the kiss scene :) Thanks for the link, I'll add it to the post, hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t seen this film in years, but I remember I enjoyed it both for Hayley Mills and for the story. I recently saw her in two completely different roles, GYPSY GIRL and ENDLESS NIGHT, both of which give a glimpse of her post-Disney acting abilities. I haven’t seen any of Pola Negri’s sound pictures except this one, and her silent films are either lost or in poor condition. If you check YouTube, you can find a wide example of her films, including a few in which she sings (I think she had a better voice than Dietrich).

    ReplyDelete
  3. whistlingsypsy: thanks for all the info. I have to check the Hayley films you mentioned, I've only seen her in Disney movies. I'll also check Youtube and see if she really has a better voice than Marlene :) Thanks a million for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t seen this film in years, but I remember I enjoyed it both for Hayley Mills and for the story. I recently saw her in two completely different roles, GYPSY GIRL and ENDLESS NIGHT, both of which give a glimpse of her post-Disney acting abilities. I haven’t seen any of Pola Negri’s sound pictures except this one, and her silent films are either lost or in poor condition. If you check YouTube, you can find a wide example of her films, including a few in which she sings (I think she had a better voice than Dietrich).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Java, thanks for dropping by! I had read that fun interview before I wrote the post, I remember the interviewer was mostly interested in the kiss scene :) Thanks for the link, I'll add it to the post, hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...